Eight years after their royal wedding, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry marked their anniversary without any public or private acknowledgment from the British royal family, further highlighting the ongoing divide between the Sussexes and the monarchy.
| Meghan, Duchess of Sussex / Instagram |
The couple celebrated their eighth wedding anniversary on May 19, but members of the royal family remained notably silent throughout the occasion. According to journalist Rob Shuter’s Naughty But Nice Substack, insiders claimed the lack of communication was deliberate rather than accidental.
“The silence was very intentional,” a source close to the situation said. “There was no phone call, no private message, no peace offering — absolutely nothing.”
The reported snub comes amid continued tensions between the Sussexes and the wider royal family, tensions that have intensified in recent months because of the couple’s unofficial overseas appearances and public engagements.
According to another source quoted by the outlet, palace officials were frustrated by the perception that Harry and Meghan’s recent travels resembled unofficial royal tours.
“The Palace is livid,” the insider said. “It looks like a full-scale royal tour without the permission slip.”
![]() |
| Meghan, Duchess of Sussex / Instagram |
Despite the strained relationship, sources close to the couple say both Harry and Meghan remain open to repairing family ties, though they are approaching reconciliation cautiously and without expectations of a quick breakthrough.
“They’re not approaching it with the expectation of a quick resolution. It’s about taking small, manageable steps and seeing where things land,” a source told People.
“This remains very important to Harry, with Meghan supportive,” the insider added.
The relationship between Harry and his father, King Charles III, is reportedly less strained than his relationship with his brother, Prince William. While Charles is believed to be willing to communicate with Harry, royal commentators suggest William has little interest in revisiting the family conflict.
![]() |
| Meghan, Duchess of Sussex / Instagram |
“William is over all the drama,” royal biographer Robert Jobson told People. “He doesn’t need it, and he doesn’t want it. He’s too busy and focused on his own family.”
The silence surrounding the anniversary is widely seen as another sign that reconciliation between the Sussexes and the royal family remains distant.
Despite the apparent cold shoulder from the monarchy, Meghan and Harry privately celebrated the occasion with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.
On May 19, Meghan shared several previously unseen photographs from the couple’s wedding day on Instagram. She also posted a video showing Harry and their two children celebrating the anniversary with a cake at home.
The anniversary celebration offered a rare glimpse into the couple’s private family life, contrasting sharply with the continued public distance between the Sussexes and the royal household.
The tensions between Harry and the royal family have persisted since the couple stepped back from senior royal duties in 2020 and relocated to the United States. Since then, interviews, documentaries, Harry’s memoir Spare, and the couple’s independent public engagements have repeatedly fueled tensions with the monarchy.


